April 23, 2019, 07:57:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our new place: www.tajikam.com/forums

To enter with your registered details click here and follow the steps: http://tajikam.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=global§ion=lostpass

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Marrying your cousin/e  (Read 2978 times)
Khurasanzad
Research Team

View Profile Email
« on: July 21, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »

Hello guys,

I was discussing with a friend about marrying with your relatives, i.e. cousin/e and about it´s pros and contras. Maybe you also have had a thought about it. What is your view about that issue? In some countries, specially in Near East, South-East Asia and Anatolia, it´s a deep part of their traditions while in Europe it is not welcomed because of the fear of doing inbreeding or of physical disability. Marrying your cousin/e is not forbidden in the western world but it is also not acceptet. It´s also a common thing in Afghanistan, Iran and other Central Asian states. What´s your point about it?
Lindt

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 09:12:13 AM »

I think that people marry their cousins (especially in afghanistan) because

a) they know the family, they know the niece of nephew and their qualities and attributes + family ties are kept strong
b) they are in poverty
c) lack of trust to outsiders

Marriages are usually determined by parents and not the to be bride or groom and in the west, this is rarely the case. For the parents, marrying their children off to their cousins is simple and easy whereas it takes time for trust to be built out of thin air if they were to consider an outsider, unless he or she was filthy rich! lol

I myself find that marrying a cousin or a relative for that matter to be awkward and somewhat disgusting and my view isn't determined by the stories of kids turning out disabled. There have been numerous studies conducted on kids who are product of cousins breeding together and results have shown that the chances of the child having a birth defect are only slightly greater than one who is a child of two parents who aren't related.

An unrelated couple has about a 3 percent to 4 percent risk of having a child with such problems. But for close cousins who are married, that risk jumps only 1.7 percent to 2.8 percent, the study said.

Researcher Robin Bennett said that is lower than many people, including family doctors, believed to be the case.

"The commonsense point of this is that there is a definite risk, but the risk is rather small," said one of the researchers, Dr. Arno G. Motulsky, professor of medicine and genome sciences at the University of Washington.

- http://www.coej.org/Medical/marrying_cousins_not_risky.htm

shinno
Nothing

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:50:22 PM »

This is a very big part of eastern cultures. The reasons for inter family marriages are already posted by Lindt.

I am not aginst cousins marrying cousins as it is allowed in Islam and is culturaly acceptable but I encourage marriage between different ethnicities and to people we are not related to. The important factor is that the man and woman are both happy and have the familie's blessings. I think marriage between diferent ethnicites increases friendships and love and removes misundrestandings.  I personally wouldn't have a problem marrying a tajik, uzbek, hazara, arab or any other muslim provided our families come to an agreement. One of my relatives is married to a italian woman and they are happy but there are certian cultural gapes which are to be expected.
Parsistani

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 05:31:51 AM »

This is a very big part of eastern cultures. The reasons for inter family marriages are already posted by Lindt.

I am not aginst cousins marrying cousins as it is allowed in Islam and is culturaly acceptable but I encourage marriage between different ethnicities and to people we are not related to. The important factor is that the man and woman are both happy and have the familie's blessings. I think marriage between diferent ethnicites increases friendships and love and removes misundrestandings.  I personally wouldn't have a problem marrying a tajik, uzbek, hazara, arab or any other muslim provided our families come to an agreement. One of my relatives is married to a italian woman and they are happy but there are certian cultural gapes which are to be expected.

It´s clear you would as a Pashtun marry an Arab and a Punjabi (men or trans.)  ::). Don´t understand me wrong. Not their sex is the problem but who they are. Keep it up, Pashtun wror.

Ps: please leave your hands by yourself and your Pashtanas. Don´t push a Hazara, Uzbek, an Aryan, African etc. women to hell and barbarity. They are humen.

@Khurasanzad

marrying your cousine is not a bad or wrong habbit. The only problem would be that the feelings toward your cousine could be the same as to your own sister or brother. What is your own point of marrying your relative?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: