February 26, 2020, 07:26:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Our new place: www.tajikam.com/forums

To enter with your registered details click here and follow the steps: http://tajikam.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=global§ion=lostpass

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Parents beware of fizzy drinks!!!  (Read 6385 times)
Unity
Research Team

View Profile Email
« on: June 12, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »

Why parents shouldn't give children fizzy drinks
By Miriam Stoppard on Jun 2, 09 08:36 PM in Children
Kids are keen on fizzy drinks so I can see why parents often turn a blind eye to the dangers.

But study after study has linked them to a host of health problems from childhood obesity to tooth decay.

One piece of research at Ohio University even found cola had the power to disrupt kids' sleep, leaving them tired and irritable next day.

The truth is, these drinks are completely devoid of nutritional value and do nothing but harm.

I find it hypocritical that some parents worry about what their kids eat or what medication they give them but are happy to let them guzzle a few cans of cola a day.

I'm sure, if people really stopped and thought about what was inside, they'd ditch them once and for all.

Here are just a few reasons why:

/They're packed with calories
It's no surprise that sugar is one of the highest listed ingredients on the
full-fat versions of these drinks. But, while they're full of calories, they don't fill kids up so they end up eating more. Research shows that kids who drink the most soft drinks are the most likely to be overweight.

/ They contain artificial colourings and preservatives
Many of these chemicals have been linked to hyperactivity and tantrums in kids, so why risk it?

/ They rot teeth
Again, thanks to the sugar content, kids who drink fizzy drinks are more likely to get tooth decay. And the sugar-free varieties are no better as the acidity levels of these drinks (from citric and phosphoric acid) erode tooth enamel over time. To
give you a rough idea, a tooth left overnight in cola will have almost dissolved by morning.

/ They weaken bones
Both the phosphoric acid and caffeine in soft drinks have been found to leach calcium from the body, leaving bones softer and more prone to breaks. This is especially a problem if kids shun calcium-rich milk in favour of fizzy drinks.

What to give them instead

Kids don't crave what they've never had, so the trick is to keep them away from fizzy drinks for as long as possible. You can train them to like water by giving them nothing else in the first year and, after that, fizzy water as a treat. Then they can have fruit juice diluted half and half with water or a glass of milk.

We kept my grandchildren free of soft drinks until they were six - now they can have one as a treat occasionally when they're with granny. But they're never kept in the house, so they don't become an everyday habit.
PORS
AZADANDESH
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 02:24:59 PM »

True, but if you rinse your teeth after you drink you will prevent major downsides of them. All in all, I agree with the article.  - Pors

از گذشته بیاموز ،امروز را با خشنودی بگذران. در اندیشه اینده باش و اینده را بساز. - پارس
Unity
Research Team

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 02:26:52 PM »

True, but if you rinse your teeth after you drink you will prevent major downsides of them. All in all, I agree with the article.  - Pors

Yes, these drinks and full of chemicals, never good for the kids and even adults...  also choloates are not good
PORS
AZADANDESH
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:31:16 PM »

Objection with chocolate!!! I am cholcoholic, brother! :P Everything has its limits and if you know your limit, then no problem with consuming chocolates and drinks. - Pors

از گذشته بیاموز ،امروز را با خشنودی بگذران. در اندیشه اینده باش و اینده را بساز. - پارس
Unity
Research Team

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »

Objection with chocolate!!! I am cholcoholic, brother! :P Everything has its limits and if you know your limit, then no problem with consuming chocolates and drinks. - Pors

Luckily I have never liked chocolate.
PORS
AZADANDESH
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 02:41:47 PM »

Too bad, Unity-jan. Try Lindt chocolate as well, especially dark milk one. It's nice.

My brands are: Godiva, Ghirardelli, and Guylian. Delicimo! Hmmm, love them! :P

- Pors

Unity
Research Team

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 02:35:36 AM »

Well, i havent tried Lindt, but Dark Chocolates are not in my list at all.
Lindt

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 09:54:26 AM »

for the most part fizzy drinks severely damage ones teeth over time, so that means you'd have to be consistent in your drinking habit to see the side effects..... it's like vitamin tablets, they do not work unless you take them all the time when required. Drinking too much within a short period of time (let's say, 3 hours) can lead to gastric ulcers which can also be acquired in other ways too.

soda drinks are not deadly if you have a cup once or twice a week and likes pors jaan said, moderation is the key. the number of bottles one has in their home does not necessarily reflect their drinking habits as this author has pointed out. Children may not crave what they've never had but that completely changes when they're an adolescent so all in all the parents' mission to stop their offspring from developing bad eating habits fails. ::)

:o also unity, how can you not like chocolate? i must say that i'm disappointed thats pors likes dark chocolate... ewwwww :p

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:56:10 AM by Lindt » Logged
Unity
Research Team

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »

for the most part fizzy drinks severely damage ones teeth over time, so that means you'd have to be consistent in your drinking habit to see the side effects..... it's like vitamin tablets, they do not work unless you take them all the time when required. Drinking too much within a short period of time (let's say, 3 hours) can lead to gastric ulcers which can also be acquired in other ways too.

soda drinks are not deadly if you have a cup once or twice a week and likes pors jaan said, moderation is the key. the number of bottles one has in their home does not necessarily reflect their drinking habits as this author has pointed out. Children may not crave what they've never had but that completely changes when they're an adolescent so all in all the parents' mission to stop their offspring from developing bad eating habits fails. ::)

:o also unity, how can you not like chocolate? i must say that i'm disappointed thats pors likes dark chocolate... ewwwww :p

honestly i dont know, i just dont like it.
PORS
AZADANDESH
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 12:48:55 PM »

Unity,

You are making a good point and I think it was informative as well. Just know you limit and enjoy everything in life.

By the way, I found the topic name "Parents beware of fizzy drinks!!!"funny - LOL :)

- Pors

Quote from: Unity
honestly i dont know, i just dont like it.

Unity
Research Team

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 01:01:10 PM »

lol
Unity
Research Team

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 03:02:08 AM »

Here is another related story:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/06/14/girl-10-who-weighs-12-and-a-half-stone-told-lose-wight-or-die-115875-21438393/

A 10-year-old girl who weighs 121/2 stone has been told by doctors: “diet or die”.

Brooke Walker is hooked on junk food and already weighs more than Britain’s fattest teenager did at the same age.

She’s been warned by GPs that they can do no more for her – and has now become the youngest child to to be checked into children’s “fat camp” Wellspring UK.

Next month, in a bid to turn her life around, she will begin therapy and a healthy eating and exercise regime.

Brooke, who’s too large for girls’ clothes and has to wear boys’ outfits, has been bullied all her life.

She stays indoors much of the time to escape the taunts and, heartbreakingly, tells of how she cries when she sees her reflection.

“When I look in the mirror I feel sad,” she says. “Doctors have told me that unless I lose weight and exercise I will be very, very sick when I grow up.

“I’ve tried really hard to do as the doctors say. But every time I play outside, people stop and stare and call me ‘fatso’. I end up crying in my room.”

Health experts have described Brooke’s case as one of the most alarming they’ve seen. She’s 4ft 9ins and weighs a stone and a half more than the UK’s fattest teen Georgia Davis – who hit 33 stone at 15 years old – did when she was 10.

Brooke’s weight rocketed when she developed a love of takeaways and fatty junk food.

Her typical daily intake used to consist of crisps, chocolates, chips, pizza and fizzy drinks.

Although she cut out the junk food two and a half years ago and is now eating more healthily, she’s still eating too much.

At its worst her calorie intake was 6,000 a day, six times the recommended safe limit, and her weight is still more than double what it should be for a girl of her age.

Brooke’s mum Stacey, 24, says she accepts the blame for what happened to her daughter.

Brooke’s twin sisters Hannah and Aimee, six, are a perfectly healthy weight but Stacey, a busy single mum, admits Brooke suffered from being dished up convenience food in her early years.

“I was 14 years old when I had Brooke,” Stacey says. “I was young and naive and I had no clue about what a healthy meal was when I started giving Brooke her dinners.

“Everything was always deep-fried or from the takeaway and Brooke became addicted to fast food.

“If she did not have the food she wanted there would be terrible tantrums. I found it tough to deal with that. So I would go to the takeaway and buy her stuff like pizza and give her fried food for dinner.

“Her favourite tea was chips in gravy covered with cheese from the fish and chip shop.

“I let her have the food I thought made her happy. But I didn‘t realise the damage I was doing.”

Things became even worse when Stacey had the twins.

“Brooke started to take food to her room,” she said. “I would find packets of crisps, sweets and chocolate. But with two young babies I didn‘t have time to deal with the problem.

“I know this is my fault but I’m trying to put it right now. I’m petrified Brooke is going to die unless she gets urgent help.”

The full truth about Brooke’s weight problem was made clear in February in a letter from her local GP.

It said she had an “extremely serious problem” and that her weight had “gone off the scale”.

Brooke is classed as morbidly obese – and her health has deteriorated rapidly over the last year.

Doctors have already told her she is likely to develop heart disease and Type 2 diabetes, and her severe asthma and circulation problems mean she can’t take part in normal activities such as school sports.

When she goes to sleep each night her face turns grey because she struggles to breathe.

Brooke, from Belfast, can’t play outside because of the bullying, which at one point got so bad she developed alopecia from the stress and lost most of her hair.

“I have one or two friends at school who stick up for me,” she says. “But most of the children call me names.

“Eating food makes me feel happy and stops me from being sad all the time.

“I eat because I am bored because I can’t go outside.”

Brooke will spend six weeks at the Wellspring camp (www.wellspringcamp.co.uk) – which normally only takes children aged 11 and over.

In the first seven days she won’t be able to phone home, but she’s determined to succeed.

“I can’t wait to go,” she says. “I am not scared of going away. My one wish is to lose weight and look like other girls. I am tired of being called fatty and want it to end.

“I want the bullying to stop and to have friends. I just want to wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and not feel sad any more.”
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: