Tajiks Worldwide Community: Pan-Persian Media Conference - Communicating with the Persian Speaking World - Tajiks Worldwide Community

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox

Parsistani Icon : (04 January 2016 - 10:02 PM) Someone here?
parwana Icon : (30 April 2014 - 05:21 PM) Posted Image
Parsistani Icon : (22 July 2013 - 04:02 AM) good morning :)
Gul agha Icon : (03 May 2013 - 04:29 PM) Sohrab, Tajikam doesn't only consist of a forum. We have two major sections in this website. One is in Persian which is updated frequently and the other is in Persian (Cyrillic). Additionally, the English page is still running and has a vast amount of information on Tajiks and Persians.
Gul agha Icon : (03 May 2013 - 04:27 PM) http://www.facebook.com/Tajikamsite
Sohrab Icon : (01 May 2013 - 06:31 AM) Tajikam on facebook?
SHA DOKHT Icon : (01 May 2013 - 12:12 AM) Like our page on Facebook: https://www.facebook...541604162529143
Sohrab Icon : (29 March 2013 - 08:31 AM) H again, I thought the site would be closed, but it's still running.
Gabaro_glt Icon : (26 March 2013 - 10:17 AM) Tajikistan was inhabited by the races of Cyrus the great (Sultan skindar Zulqarnain). The achmaniend dynasty ruled the entire region for several thousnd years.Cyrus the great's son cymbasis(Combchia)with forces migrated to Balkh ancient Bactaria or Bakhtar. Sultan Sumus the desecndant of Cyrus the great faught war against Alaxander of Macdonia in Bakhtar current tajikistan.
this ruling class was inhabited in the areas, like Balkh,fargana,alai,Tajikistan,badakhshan,Kabul,Takhar,Tashkorogan,Khutan,kashkar,Swat,Kashmir,Peshawar, hashtnager,Dir, Bajour,Gilgit,for serveral thaousand years.
Gabaro_glt Icon : (26 March 2013 - 10:16 AM) hellow
Gabaro_glt Icon : (26 March 2013 - 10:00 AM) Tajikistan was inhabited by the races of Cyrus the great (Sultan skindar Zulqarnain). The achmaniend dynasty ruled the entire region for several thousnd years.Cyrus the great's son cymbasis(Combchia)with forces migrated to Balkh ancient Bactaria or Bakhtar. Sultan Sumus the desecndant of Cyrus the great faught war against Alaxander of Macdonia in Bakhtar current tajikistan.
this ruling class was inhabited in the areas, like Balkh,fargana,alai,Tajikistan,badakhshan,Kabul,Takhar,Tashkorogan,Khutan,kashkar,Swat,Kashmir,Peshawar, hashtnager,Dir, Bajour,Gilgit,for serveral thaousand years.
Gabaro_glt Icon : (26 March 2013 - 09:46 AM) hellow
Gabaro_glt Icon : (25 March 2013 - 10:48 AM) Asssssssssalam o Alaikum
Gabaro_glt Icon : (22 March 2013 - 05:22 AM) I would like to here something from a tajik brother/sister living in Tajikstan
Gabaro_glt Icon : (22 March 2013 - 05:20 AM) I have traced my ancestors migrated from Panj and Balkh ancient
Gabaro_glt Icon : (22 March 2013 - 05:19 AM) I am desendant of Sultan behram Gabari Tajik living in GilGit pakistan
Gabaro_glt Icon : (22 March 2013 - 05:17 AM) Salam to all brothers
Parsistani Icon : (01 June 2012 - 10:48 AM) we are on facebook. Tajikam on facebook
Parsistani Icon : (01 June 2012 - 10:47 AM) salam guys.
Azim-khan Icon : (19 May 2012 - 11:19 AM) salom bachaho )
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pan-Persian Media Conference - Communicating with the Persian Speaking World Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ahhangar Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

The Centre for Media and Film at the School of Oriental and African Studies is hosting a conference on 6-7 June entitled “Communicating with the Persian-speaking World”. The conference will be bringing together key figures from the media and film industries in Iran, Afghanistan and Tajikistan, where considerable change and debate about the media and cultural environments are taking place.

Despite the fact that the three nations share Persian language and Persianate culture, rarely have their media professionals and filmmakers come together in an international forum to discuss their mutual concerns and future objectives.

The two day conference will hear from some of the top journalists, TV and radio producers, bloggers and film directors about the latest developments. Students and academics will have a chance to discuss the future of the media and film industries in these countries and to debate possible future academic cooperation. It also includes the screening of films from the three countries.

Communicating with the Persian Speaking World - Day 1

Date: 6 June 2008Time: 9:30 AM

Finishes: 6 June 2008Time: 7:30 PM

Venue: Russell Square: College BuildingsRoom: Khalili Lecture Theatre

Type of Event: Conference
DAY 1

9:30 Registration

10:00 Opening - Professor Annabelle Sreberny, SOAS

10:15-11:30 The State of Independent Media in the Persian-speaking world
Moderator: Dr. Massoumeh Torfeh, SOAS
Iran: Akbar Montajabi; Afghanistan: Aziz Hakimi; Tajikistan: Umid Babakhanov

11:30-12:00 Coffee Break

12:00-13:30 Cinema Adjusts to Social and Political Rules
Moderator: Dr. Saeed Zeydabadi-Nejad, SOAS
Iran: Hooshang Golmakani; Afghanistan: Siddiq Barmak; Tajikistan: Safarbek Soliev

13:30-14:30 Lunch Break

14:30-16:00 Deadlines and Red Lines
Moderator: Solmaz Dabiri, journalist
Iran: Kasra Nouri; Afghanistan: Faheem Dashty; Tajikistan: Shkhlo Akobirova

16:00-16:30 Tea Break

16:30-17:30 “Modern” Journalism and “Challenges” of Tradition
Moderator: Massoumeh Torfeh, SOAS
Presentation by Zaid Mohseni on Arman Radio and Tolo TV in Afghanistan

18:00-1900 Film from Tajikistan: “Calendar of Expectations” (2005)
Q&A with the Director: Safarbek Soliev

19:30 Dinner Russell Restaurant SOAS (Invited guests ONLY)

Communicating with the Persian Speaking World - Day 2

Date: 7 June 2008Time: 11:00 AM

Finishes: 7 June 2008Time: 7:30 PM

Venue: Russell Square: College BuildingsRoom: Khalili Lecture Theatre

DAY 2

10:00 -11:00 The Impact of Women in Film and Media
Moderator: Professor Annabelle Sreberny/
Iran: Mehdi Jami/ Parisa Bakhtavar Afghanistan: Shukria Barakzai, Tajikistan: Shkhlo Akobirova

11:00-11:30 Coffee Break

11:30-13:00 No Media No Comment: Consequences for the young
Moderator: Massoumeh Torfeh
Tajikistan: S. Aioubzod; Tajikistan: Dododjon Atoeuliev, Afganistan: Shafiq Haghpal

13:00-14:00 Lunch Break

14:00-15:00 Citizen Journalism & Responsibility
Moderator: Mehdi Jami
Iran: Shadi Sadr, Tajikistan: S. Rajabian,

15:00-15:30 Tea Break

15:30- 16:15 Regional Cooperation on Media and Film: A discussion
Moderator: Professor Annabelle Sreberny

16:15- 18:00 Film from Afghanistan: “Opium War” (2008)
Q&A with the Director: Siddiq Barmak

18:00 Closing Remarks

Sunday 8 June 2008 Brunei Gallery
16:00 -20:00 Film from Iran: Dayre-Zangi (2008): With Q&A with the director Directed by Parisa Bakhtavar Moderator: Houshang Golmakani

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This great event was organised Dr Massoumeh Torfeh, mt69@soas.ac.uk - you can email her to express thanks and appreciation - and ask for more such events to be held.

A little bit of info on Dr Massoumeh Torfeh:

Posted Image

Massoumeh Torfeh, a former senior producer in BBC World Service, specializes on the politics and media of Iran, Afghanistan and Central Asia. Her PhD was on the causes of failure of democracy in Iran during the Mossadeq's era. She has worked as a spokesperson for the UN mission in Tajikistan and as a public information consultant in the office of President Karzai of Afghanistan.

She has translated a series of 12 articles about the process of democratization in the West and in South America for the monthly review of Politics and Literature in Iran, Ketabe Jomeh. She has also written two analytical reports for JETRO, Japan Export Trading Organization, one on “Iran, Central Asia & the Caspian Sea: An analysis of the regional political developments and another about “The Changing Balance of Power in Central Asia and Middle East” published in both Japanese and English. She has a chapter in “Political Thought and Political History: Studies in Memory of Elie Kedouri” edited by Moshe Gammer. Massoumeh has given seminars in LSE, as well as Edinburgh University and Exeter University on the politics of Iran and Central Asia. Additionally in 2007, she presented a paper in KABUL at the international conference “Media is Development” about the role of BBC and RFE/RL in Afghanistan. She wrote an article for the Media Guardian on the subject.

http://media.guardia...2073806,00.html

Massoumeh also completed the first part of a working paper on the history of BBC Persian Service and presented it at an international conference “International Broadcasting, Public Diplomacy and Cultural Exchange” held 18-19 December 2007 at SOAS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are your views about collaboration of PERSIAN media organizations?

Persian MEDIA - creating a PAN PERSIAN AWARENESS - do you know examples of Persian Media that is the most popular throughout the Persian world?

Ahhangar

#2 User is offline   Nader Shah Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Research Group

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:53 AM

This must be our own Darius, right ?
[QUOTE=Ahhangar;10646]

14:00-15:00 Citizen Journalism & Responsibility
Moderator: Mehdi Jami
Iran: Shadi Sadr, Tajikistan: S. Rajabian,

[/QUOTE]

#3 User is offline   Ordibehesht Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=Ahhangar;10646]What are your views about collaboration of PERSIAN media organizations?

Persian MEDIA - creating a PAN PERSIAN AWARENESS - do you know examples of Persian Media that is the most popular throughout the Persian world?

Ahhangar[/QUOTE]

Overall it was a good conference. I attended all 3-days of it and was glad to see that the journalists and other speakers were all in favour of greater co-operation of the Persian-speaking media of the 3 countries.

The government's of Iran, Tajikistan and Afghanistan have agreed to launch a Persian-speaking satellite channel that will be broadcast from Dushanbe, which is good.... But what really needs to be allowed to evolve in the region is a free press and media that is independent of government controls. That unfortunately will take some time tho, at least in Iran. Tajikistan and Afghanistan may be in a better position for an independent media to flourish at this time.

But regardless of whether the first steps are taken as a government sponsored programme or by independent journalists and media persons, the bringing together of the Persian-speaking media is long overdue.

#4 User is offline   Ahhangar Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:02 AM

[QUOTE=Ordibehesht;11475]Overall it was a good conference. I attended all 3-days of it and was glad to see that the journalists and other speakers were all in favour of greater co-operation of the Persian-speaking media of the 3 countries.

The government's of Iran, Tajikistan and Afghanistan have agreed to launch a Persian-speaking satellite channel that will be broadcast from Dushanbe, which is good.... But what really needs to be allowed to evolve in the region is a free press and media that is independent of government controls. That unfortunately will take some time tho, at least in Iran. Tajikistan and Afghanistan may be in a better position for an independent media to flourish at this time.

But regardless of whether the first steps are taken as a government sponsored programme or by independent journalists and media persons, the bringing together of the Persian-speaking media is long overdue.[/QUOTE]

Dear OrdiBehesht,

Thanks for the reply.

Anything significant in the talks ? Especially from those from Afghanistan - did they give any indications of their approval of the theme of the event - and was it evident from their presentations?

Ahhangar

#5 User is offline   Ordibehesht Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:43 PM

[QUOTE=Ahhangar;11491]Dear OrdiBehesht,

Thanks for the reply.

Anything significant in the talks ? Especially from those from Afghanistan - did they give any indications of their approval of the theme of the event - and was it evident from their presentations?

Ahhangar[/QUOTE]

One of my biggest faults as a person is that at present i am pretty illiterate in our language and can only speak English. I can read and write Persian at the elementary level but my knowledge and understanding of the spoken language is below basic. So my review of the event wont be the best. If i remember correctly only two of the speakers from Afghanistan, Aziz Hakimi and Zaid Mohseni, gave their presentations in English, so i was able to follow theirs the most. The other speakers of course spoke in Persian and so i had to listen to the translation which made it difficult to keep up.

The actual theme of the event was very broad-based and did not actually revolve around ways in which the Persian-speaking media of the 3 countries can be brought closer together. The event mainly focused on the speakers giving presentations about the state of the independent media in their own respective countries.

At the end of the second day there was a small session, like an open discussion, on how the Persian-speaking media can be brought closer together through things like joint film productions, print publications, reports etc Everyone was in favour of this, but no significant outcome or resolutions or commitments were made. Not surprisingly tho as this was just the first in what hopefully will be the start of something much larger.

However, some speakers did mention that this effort to bring the Persian-speaking World closer together via the media has been tried before by independent journalists of Iran, Tajikistan and Afghanistan, but that there are certain "forces" in the region (and maybe even outside it) that dont want to see this happen and have sabotaged such efforts in the past. I believe that there already is a pan-Persian union of sorts that was formed some years ago, but i dont know the status of it or if it is still active.

One thing to mention about the Afghans is that i was not impressed with the presentation by Zaid Mohseni of Tolo TV. No doubt he's probably a smart business man and he was very blunt on the point that as a business person his prime aim is to.... make money... Which to be fair, we all need to do. But i dont think much of the programmes they make for Tolo TV and that TV station definitely doesn't appear to be doing anything for promoting Persian/Tajik culture, language and values - or anything of real interest or substance at all. However, that was only my impression from his presentation - I could be wrong about that tho.

Anyway, i found this blog with the transcripts of some of the speeches given at the event that i think you'll find worth reading - http://iranblogz.wordpress.com/

#6 User is offline   Ahhangar Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:23 AM

[QUOTE=Ordibehesht;11509]One of my biggest faults as a person is that at present i am pretty illiterate in our language and can only speak English. I can read and write Persian at the elementary level but my knowledge and understanding of the spoken language is below basic. So my review of the event wont be the best. If i remember correctly only two of the speakers from Afghanistan, Aziz Hakimi and Zaid Mohseni, gave their presentations in English, so i was able to follow theirs the most. The other speakers of course spoke in Persian and so i had to listen to the translation which made it difficult to keep up.

The actual theme of the event was very broad-based and did not actually revolve around ways in which the Persian-speaking media of the 3 countries can be brought closer together. The event mainly focused on the speakers giving presentations about the state of the independent media in their own respective countries.

At the end of the second day there was a small session, like an open discussion, on how the Persian-speaking media can be brought closer together through things like joint film productions, print publications, reports etc Everyone was in favour of this, but no significant outcome or resolutions or commitments were made. Not surprisingly tho as this was just the first in what hopefully will be the start of something much larger.

However, some speakers did mention that this effort to bring the Persian-speaking World closer together via the media has been tried before by independent journalists of Iran, Tajikistan and Afghanistan, but that there are certain "forces" in the region (and maybe even outside it) that dont want to see this happen and have sabotaged such efforts in the past. I believe that there already is a pan-Persian union of sorts that was formed some years ago, but i dont know the status of it or if it is still active.

One thing to mention about the Afghans is that i was not impressed with the presentation by Zaid Mohseni of Tolo TV. No doubt he's probably a smart business man and he was very blunt on the point that as a business person his prime aim is to.... make money... Which to be fair, we all need to do. But i dont think much of the programmes they make for Tolo TV and that TV station definitely doesn't appear to be doing anything for promoting Persian/Tajik culture, language and values - or anything of real interest or substance at all. However, that was only my impression from his presentation - I could be wrong about that tho.

Anyway, i found this blog with the transcripts of some of the speeches given at the event that i think you'll find worth reading - http://iranblogz.wordpress.com/[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. The fact that you have the awareness and interest to go and attend this conference is far more valuable than being able to 100% competent in the Persian language. Defending and working for the interests of our language and peoples does not have been done solely in Persian - it can be carried out in any language.

I was really angry with myself for missing it - I only found out about it much later and I posted it up here in order to see if someone else can provide some insights about it.

Ziad Moheni is right to want to make money - otherwise he would go under. His channel is not that strong on traditional things - but it is very critical of the government and provides a valued alternative voice to the channels whom have ideological interests. It is genuinely popular in Afghanistan and provides a good platform for those whom are not given a chance on other channels.

I think that this conference is certainly a sign of positive things to come - the fact that prior to this only journalists had unions and that now it is expanding to cover all forms of Media - including Cinema is great.

Ahhangar

#7 User is offline   Kambiz Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:53 AM

Pity we didn't meet there at the conference. Next time gimme a shout;)
Many thanks for your great views.

[QUOTE=Ordibehesht;11509]One of my biggest faults as a person is that at present i am pretty illiterate in our language and can only speak English. I can read and write Persian at the elementary level but my knowledge and understanding of the spoken language is below basic. So my review of the event wont be the best. If i remember correctly only two of the speakers from Afghanistan, Aziz Hakimi and Zaid Mohseni, gave their presentations in English, so i was able to follow theirs the most. The other speakers of course spoke in Persian and so i had to listen to the translation which made it difficult to keep up.

Anyway, i found this blog with the transcripts of some of the speeches given at the event that i think you'll find worth reading - http://iranblogz.wordpress.com/[/QUOTE]

#8 User is offline   Ordibehesht Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=Ahhangar;11533]Ziad Moheni is right to want to make money - otherwise he would go under. His channel is not that strong on traditional things - but it is very critical of the government and provides a valued alternative voice to the channels whom have ideological interests. It is genuinely popular in Afghanistan and provides a good platform for those whom are not given a chance on other channels.[/quote]

You're right. I guess its unfair and too much to expect from all private TV stations to stick to things that are 'educational' or promoting idelogical causes. Especially in a traumatised country like Afghanistan people would no doubt need entertainment which Tolo TV is providing for them. But i still think its a shame that the quality of that entertainment is (as one member of the auidence put it) a kind of "cheese" entertainment modelled on 'cheesy' American style programming - either that or Indian programmes. Altho really and truly, perhaps there just is no alternative to those at this time.

I think that this conference is certainly a sign of positive things to come - the fact that prior to this only journalists had unions and that now it is expanding to cover all forms of Media - including Cinema is great. Ahhangar

Positive things can come, but it falls on people like us to make an effort to engage with these media people, support them and encourage them to hold further joint events for the Persian-speaking media. We shouldn't just sit back and wait for them to organise the next conference, we need to keep writing to the organisers and encourage them to do that.

#9 User is offline   Ordibehesht Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=Darius;11538]Pity we didn't meet there at the conference. Next time gimme a shout;)
Many thanks for your great views.[/QUOTE]

Definitely.

I actually take my Persian classes at SOAS and try to attend as many of their Iran and Central Asia events / lectures as i can.

Im sure we'll bump into eachother there soon enough.

#10 User is offline   Kambiz Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=Ordibehesht;11593]Definitely.

I actually take my Persian classes at SOAS and try to attend as many of their Iran and Central Asia events / lectures as i can.

Im sure we'll bump into eachother there soon enough.[/QUOTE]

I'm not too far from SOAS eaither. That makes the possibility of 'bumping' even higher;)

#11 User is offline   Ordibehesht Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=Kambiz;11600]I'm not too far from SOAS eaither. That makes the possibility of 'bumping' even higher;)[/QUOTE]

I'll most likely be back for Persian classes at SOAS this coming September/October.

Do you ever go to any of the public lectures/seminars on Iran or Central Asia at SOAS or any of the Campaign Iran events, Norouz celebration etc there?

If you are who i think you are then when i see you around i'll recognize you and will introduce myself. Altho if who i've got in mind isnt you that'll be a blow to my confidence and next time i'll be a little more cautious with who i 'bump into' :P

Joking.... :D

#12 User is offline   Kambiz Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

sometimes I do take part in their celebrations.

If you remember all speakers of the conference, you must remember me too: I took the floor on the second day and talked about the Internet, citizen journalism and blogging in Tajikistan.

[QUOTE=Ordibehesht;12615]I'll most likely be back for Persian classes at SOAS this coming September/October.

Do you ever go to any of the public lectures/seminars on Iran or Central Asia at SOAS or any of the Campaign Iran events, Norouz celebration etc there?

If you are who i think you are then when i see you around i'll recognize you and will introduce myself. Altho if who i've got in mind isnt you that'll be a blow to my confidence and next time i'll be a little more cautious with who i 'bump into' :P

Joking.... :D [/QUOTE]

#13 User is offline   Ordibehesht Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=Kambiz;12617]sometimes I do take part in their celebrations.

If you remember all speakers of the conference, you must remember me too: I took the floor on the second day and talked about the Internet, citizen journalism and blogging in Tajikistan.[/QUOTE]

Yep - I remember you, and thats who i suspected you were :cool:

#14 User is offline   Kambiz Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=Ordibehesht;12631]Yep - I remember you, and thats who i suspected you were :cool: [/QUOTE]

You might want to change your nick to 'Bond. James Bond':cool:

#15 User is offline   Ordibehesht Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
Group:
Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:28 PM

^^^ lol,

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic